Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review - Two For the Dough audiobook

Two for the Dough Unabridged Audiobook (The Stephanie Plum Series, Book 2)
By Janet Evanovich
Unabridged audio, narrated by C.J. Critt

Two for the Dough Description, from Goodreads:


Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is still learning the ropes at her cousin Vinnie's bail bond office, so when she sets out on the trail of Kenny Mancuso - a suspiciously wealthy, working class Trenton boy who has just shot his best friend - the stakes are higher than ever. That Mancuso is distantly related to vice cop Joe Morelli - who is trying to beat Stephanie to the punch - only makes the hunt more thrilling...

Taking pointers from her bounty hunter pal, Ranger, and using her pistol packing Grandma Mazur as a decoy, Stephanie is soon closing in on her mark. But Morelli and his libido are worthy foes. And a more sinister kind of enemy has made his first move... and his next move might be Stephanie's last. 


I discovered this series very recently. To be honest, I did not become interested in it until I saw the movie One for the Money. After seeing it, I rushed to the library to check out the book, and I loved it as well. The thought occurred to me that these books would probably translate well into audio versions, so when I got ready for Two for the Dough, I grabbed the cd's. I was not disappointed. C.J. Critt was an excellent story teller - I especially loved her Grandma Mazur voice. I'm not sure where she is from, and being from the South I don't have much experience with New Jersey accents, but Ms. Critt's seemed authentic and not overdone to me. As for the book itself, I was not disappointed. Stephanie was still the quirky, trouble attracting heroine that I came to love in the first book. And Joe Morelli. Well, what can I say. He is such a bad boy, but underneath his playboy exterior lurks a man who really seems to care about Stephanie. Of course it helps that I can picture the very attractive Jason O'Mara (the actor who played Morelli in the movie.) He alternated between helping Stephanie, trying to protect her, and double-crossing her by not sharing info on the case. Typical Morelli behavior. There are only two things that might have made the book better for me - one would have been the addition of a few more "easy" pick-ups for Stephanie. These are always humorous, and help her learn little tricks of the trade that she really needs. But the main thing that bothered me was the way the story got stretched out with Kenny's breaking and entering stunts. It got to be a little too much, and not all of them added to the progression of the plot. Even so, this was a fun listen, and I can't wait to pick up the next installment in the series - Three To Get Deadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment